Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Alabama Accent

From Montgomery, AL to Mrs. Montgomery


The Next Best Thing.”


Being married to a computer nerd has its advantages. I require constant education on this species of technology. I become easily frustrated and, more times than not, my husband has to rush in and prohibit me from hitting the monitor or throwing the key board. He tells me over and over, “Be patient. There's a lot going on in there.” I soon lose interest and move on to something else. Patience is not my thing. Due to the great education my husband gives me, I am able to use technology to my advantage and keep in touch with my family and friends that are not nearby. My mother often says that if she can't be here, her computer is the next best thing to sharing in our lives.

A few months ago, I was hospitalized for three days. The most heartbreaking thing about being away from home was that I was not going to be able to see my son during this time. He was only two months old and we were actively nursing. I prayed, put on my big girl panties, and dealt with the situation at hand. We worked out a schedule. Seth would spend the days with me at the hospital and the nights at home with Charlie. This was my first time to stay in the hospital during the night by myself. I don't do well away from home.

Knowing the struggles I would face alone at night, Seth brought his laptop to the hospital. When the time came for Seth to leave that first night, he placed his laptop on the bedside table in front of me. “Press play.” he said. Much to my delight, a slide show played of our precious little son. “Maybe this will help you sleep.” he added.

During my nights, I kept the slide show playing. Each time I woke up, my son was the first thing I saw. The slide show did help me sleep and continued to bring me comfort throughout my stay. As we were packing up to go home, Seth asked if I enjoyed his creation. “Yes, I did. Since I couldn't have yall here, it was the next best thing.”


2 comments:

Debbie said...

Great article Kate. You just never cease to amaze me! I'm SO proud of you. XOXOXOXOXO

maggs said...

awww this is sweet! Seth has the kindest heart!