Saturday, February 20, 2010

What have I been doing?

I've added a lovely accent to this needy lamp. I painted the shade a while back and love this edging. It has become harder and harder to find.

I hate shooting with a flash. I almost always try to avoid this because it washes out the background. I realize the bottom of this pic is a little dark and using a flash would have provided some filler light, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. My meter said I had proper exposure, so I went with it!

I also happen to love this beaded accent. I am thinking about combining it on top of the edging on the lamp. See the glow of the candle? Using a flash would have totally wiped that out.

Our assignments in class require that we shoot in manual. I have never shot in manual before. That may shock some of yall. I mean, the thought that I want to be a photographer and don't use manual is borderline obscene! I must fix that. It's all about establishing a comfort zone. I spent some time today wondering about the house taking photos in low light using manual mode. I am getting it. I used shutter speeds as low as 1/3. I never thought I would have a clear picture with that slow of a shutter speed. Photography is so fun:}


1 comment:

LeAnna said...

Very pretty! What kind of camera do you have, again? You need to get you a 50mm low aperture prime lens for indoor shooting. It is FANTASTIC, and for my Nikon it was really cheap. Great, great little lens. And once you start shooting in Manual, beware, it is addicting. I made myself shoot manual in my SLR from the very beginning, and I'm so glad I did - it really pushed me to stay at it!